One of the Midwest's largest meat processors of raw and cooked custom meat products, Karn Meats was established as a retail shop in the 1920's, in the former "Central Market" in downtown Columbus, Ohio. The company moved to its current location in Columbus, Ohio on Taylor Avenue in 1948. Karn adapted its business to serve grocery stores and butcher shops that evolved throughout the country, replacing the once centralized marketplaces.
In 1971 the name of the company changed to Karn Packing Co. and incorporated in Ohio. The processing of wholesale beef, specifically ground beef, was added to the business in 1983 to offer a greater selection to customers. In 1985 the company's name was changed to Karn Meats Inc, to promote the fact that it did more than kill and pack beef. In 1990 the company expanded its meat processing plant; while continuing to service existing customers with boxed beef shipped in from the major packing companies throughout the Midwest. At the same time, Karn ceased use of its slaughterhouse facility. A cooking facility was added in 1999 to further specialize in catering to the foodservice industry
Today Karn Meats uses an advanced tracking system of all products. That includes lot origination, lot coding, and testing to ensure that all products have been properly handled to guarantee safety.
The Central Market logo (below) was designed to commemorate Karn Meats' origins. This label is utilized when the customer does not request that a private label be used to market their product.